- Being an entrepreneur
- Are entrepreneurs born? Can they be made?
- Types of entrepreneurs
- Characteristics of successful entrepreneurs
- Why people start a business
- Pathways to business (from scratch, acquisition, franchise, family business)
- Where do ideas come from?
- What are useful methodologies for ideation?
- Getting to use the lean startup methodology
SCREENING OPPORTUNITIES - Overview
- Is the idea relevant, profitable, sustainable, scaleable
- Does anyone want to buy it?
- Will it be profitable?
- Start-up costs
- Time to break even
- Is it financially viable and can you get financing?
- Competitors – identifying, analysing: does our opportunity fit?
- Sizing a market
- Getting to use the “where to play” methodology
TYPES of BUSINESS MODELS
- How will your business idea make money
- Different types of biz model
- Getting to use the business model canvas
- Value proposition
- Identify target clients
- Profile target clients
- Segmenting a market
- Create a beachhead
- How to approach clients? Network vs. Cold calls / what are good sales techniques
FINANCING A BUSINESS
- How to create a viable financial model for your business
- Love money
- Using credit cards
- Getting bank loans
- Venture Capital
GETTING FROM IDEA TO LAUNCH
- Have a road map and what about a business plan?
- How to create an identity? It is (not only) about the name
- The legal side: what are necessary contracts and approvals?
- Organizational stuff: location and others
- Staffing: employees vs. cofounders
- Who can help you? What types of support are available?
- Pitfalls for early startups
- Building Your Dream by Walter Good (2005 edition on amazon.com and 2014 edition on amazon.ca)
- Small Business by Hiduke and Ryan (note all the tax and legal aspects are US focused. The last edition dates back to 2013)
- Plus additional online articles, case studies, videos and other online content.
You will receive an official Certificate of Attendance upon completion of your course. Please inform the organizing staff if you require any extra supplements, such as Transcript of Records. The student is eligible to receive up to 5 ECTS credits, however please follow the instructions here and consult the acknowledgment process with your university in advance.
- attendance in class 15%
- team assignment 40%
- individual assignment 35%
- exam 10% (optional, if required by home University)
Course time total 125 hours
- Total time of in-class work = 50hours
- Preliminary assignment = 10hours
- Preparation = 65hours
Course fee includes the course itself, application fee, study materials, Prague public transportation ticket for 2 weeks, afternoon/evening social activities and events, welcome drink and goodbye graduation party. Other expenses, such as meals, accommodation, insurance, personal expenses, extra activities (such as trips outside of town over the weekend and entrance fees), and required equipment (i.e. pencils, paper for illustrations) are not included in the price.
Please note, after the 30th of April 2020 there will be a late enrollment fee charged in the amount of 50EUR on top of the course fee. Please note: Last minute applications from 8.7.2020 are exempt from Late enrollment fee.
COVID-19 Tests upon arrival to Prague you might be asked to take a COVID test to avoid quarantine or you will have to take the test before your departure to Prague at the airport. In that case, we have decided to contribute to the testing and reimburse you in the amount of 100,- EUR. More info here .
COVID-19 Cancellation fee - in case a particular course will be cancelled without an alternative course or the Summer school program will not be happening even in an ONLINE version due to Coronavirus in your country or in the Czech Republic, we will be refunding all amount so cancellation fee is 0,- EUR.
Terms and Conditions - Cancellation fees
Costs of living in Prague
For accommodation options, please visit the dedicated page
*Program/Course Outline is subject to change.