Project Management – term 1
1Course Date: 16.7. - 27.7.
The main objective of this course is to introduce you to modern methodologies, principles and tools required for defining and managing projects in complex environments. You are going to prepare a formal project plan and business case of a selected project. In addition, all participants will get hands on experience in managing complex projects by creating and managing them by using various online tools.
Course Fee: 750€
Register NOW! Category: O Online Marketing and Business Development
Download tutor’s CV in PDF
The main objective of this course is to introduce you to the methodologies, principles and tools required for defining and managing projects in complex environments following modern project management methodologies. You are going to prepare a formal project plan and business case of a selected project. In addition, participants will get hands on experience on managing agile projects by creating and managing an agile project using Visual Studio online. We will illustrate our cases by real examples that you might get across while participating in an international project.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 9:00 - 14:00
Credits: You will receive an official Certificate of Attendance upon completion of your course. Please inform the organizing staff if you require any extra supplements, such as Transcript of Records. The student is eligible to receive up to 5 ECTS credits, however please follow the instructions here and consult the acknowledgment process with your university in advance.
Price: Course fee includes the application fee, study materials and afternoon / evening social activities and events, welcome and goodbye drink. Other expenses, such as transportation, meals, accommodation, insurance, personal expenses, extra activities (such as trips outside town, entrance fees, some of the sport activities and rentals), and required equipment (i.e. personal laptop) are not included in the price.
Accommodation: For accommodation options, please visit the dedicated page here.
Jakub, Slovakia - Project Management
„I enjoyed time in Prague very much, the city is splendid, people were awsome. Even though I am not a party guy, the program offered me a lot of sightseeing, city tours, I visited museums, parks and everything possible. Two weeks is ideal time for getting to know new people, making new friendships, to learn something and enjoy city. I would recommend joining ESS for everyone.“
The student will get the skills to:
- Understand modern project management using methodologies such as PMI and PRINCE2
- Use Visual Studio Online to Manage a project based on SCRUM
- Develop and implement a project plan and business case.
Considering working as a Project Manager or improving your project management skills to the next level.
Day 1 – Project Management Fundamentals (The Concepts)
- Welcome, course admin (teams setup)
- Project & project management (PM) defined, basic characteristics
- Project life cycle & constrains (magic triangles)
- Project manager & project team: traits & skills
- Project stakeholders: overview
Day 2 – Hands-on Training (Individual), Part #1; The Concepts (cont’d)
- Professional aptitude (self-assessment) tests
- Project stakeholders: engagement
- Line manager v. project manager (stability X flexibility & change)
- Projects and company organization: enablers v. inhibitors
Day 3 – Projects & company organization (cont’d); Project Plan, Part #1
- Matrix structure: pros & cons
- Project/Programme office
- Project plan: methodologies & standards (PMBOK, PRINCE2, Agile, Asana etc.)
- Guest speaker: PM methodologies (Agile, Asana, …)
Day 4 – Project Plan, Part #2
- Project initiation: business case & feasibility study, management buy-out
- Project plan breakdown (basic/minimalistic v. full size/professional): Project Charter & Baseline Plan (Budget & Schedule)
- Project Charter (PMBOK): components
Day 5 – Project Plan, Part #3
- Project Charter (cont’d): Risk Matrix (PMBOK & PRINCE2), Project Issues
- Project estimation: time & costing
- Project Baseline Plan: Budget & Schedule
- Responsibility matrix
Day 6 - Hands-on Training, Part #2 (Teamwork)
Day 7 - Hands-on Training, Part #3 (Teamwork)
- Baseline Plan (BDG & Schedule) tutorial
- Project plan peer review
Day 8 – Project Execution Agenda, Part #1
- Introduction, Performance Measurement, Productivity, Project Performance Evaluation (KPIs), team motivation
- Motivation exercise (hands-on, part #4, individual)
- Change management (workflow)
- Risk mitigation & conflict resolution
- Conflict resolution
Day 9 - Project Execution Agenda, Part #2
- Governance of project management: the concept & application issues
- Project management information system: overview
- Earned Value Management (EVM)
- Project management software (Microsoft, Primavera and others)
Day 10 – Project Success and Failures
Help available: institutions (PMI, APM, Arras People, SPOCE, PM webs, etc.)
Why projects fail: case studies and lessons learned
Literature and resources
Note please that the items below can be:
- Downloaded from the web (name yet to be announced) OR
- Sent by mail upon request prior to the course OR
- Downloaded onto attendant’s flash
whatever appears more appropriate. Other items are available upon request.
Do you have any questions? Let us know!