Brand Management and Brand Design
Course Date: 29.7. - 9.8.
One of the most important goals for businesses nowadays is to develop a strong and widely known brand. The question is however how to achieve to become a true household name? This course will provide you with all the necessary knowledge that a successful brand manager should have – strategic marketing and planning, public relations and communication, fundamentals of economics, market research, and more!
Course Fee: 800€
Register NOW! Category: O Online Marketing and Business Development
Drs. Simon van Renssen
|senior lecturer at Saxion University of Applied Sciences in Deventer|
Drs. Simon van Renssen graduated at the State University of Groningen in 1987 as a Social Psychologist specialized in Marketing and Marketing Research. He started off in the eighties as an entrepreneur in Groningen, The Netherlands. His company, Cognicon attracted many regional business customers. Among them were KPN (the Dutch telephone company), CasTel (a cable TV company), US West, various energy companies (Gasunie, Essent) and many smaller firms in the advertising and marketing industry. After 10 years in the marketing research industry he switched his career to education. He is an experienced lecturer in subjects like Consumer Psychology, Marketing Research, Retail Marketing and Sustainable Business. He has been a guest lecturer at several universities in Europe and China.
He moved to Laren (The Netherlands) in the year 2000 and started the construction/renovation of his farm house. He is married with 8 kids (most of them are students now). The farm house has been completely renovated. Daily life is busy with 2 dogs, 5 cats, a pony, a rooster and 5 chicken and two Bentheimer Black Pied pigs.
Branding is not merely restricted to the adverts which we see around us every day. It isn’t easy to convince people to purchase any product or services….especially with so much competition in all markets. Branding is a process of understanding the mixture of needs, wants and demands…and the subjective and objective attitudes and opinions of each potential customer. This Branding workshop will help you to understand context, experience the power of consumer research to get valuable insights, come with innovative ideas, planning and positioning.
You will become researcher, strategist, storyteller, designer, developer and entrepreneur during the two week work shop. This course is going to place a heavy emphasis on positioning and Brand Design. You will learn to use it in real life situations. Case studies of large companies and small companies will be used in addition to classical tools.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 9:00 - 14:00
Credits: You will receive an official Certificate of Attendance upon completion of your course. Please inform the organizing staff if you require any extra supplements, such as Transcript of Records. The student is eligible to receive up to 5 ECTS credits, however please follow the instructions here and consult the acknowledgment process with your university in advance.
Price: Course fee includes the application fee, study materials and afternoon / evening social activities and events, welcome and goodbye drink. Other expenses, such as transportation, meals, accommodation, insurance, personal expenses, extra activities (such as trips outside town, entrance fees, some of the sport activities and rentals), and required equipment (i.e. personal laptop) are not included in the price.
Accommodation: For accommodation options, please visit the dedicated page here.
This course is new to our Summer school course selection. However the lecturer has years of experience in the field.
- Provide an appreciation of the role of brands in consumers’ daily experiences and in creating value for the business and its stakeholders
- Increase fluency with the core principles underlying a consumer-centric approach to brand strategy, and create familiarity with research tools that illuminate the meaning and strength of any particular brand
- Augment students’ ability to think creatively and critically about the strategies and tactics involved in building, leveraging, defending, and sustaining inspired brands
- Encourage the application of brand principles to oneself – so as to be aware when building and communicating one’s own personal and professional reputation (personal branding)
B1 CEF absolute minimum, B2 and above strongly recommended
This course is designed for students enrolled in a relevant bachelor’s course or students wishing to start their own businesses or to start a career with existing marketing/advertising firms
A laptop is strongly recommended
(under review, subject to change)
Each meeting will have tasks and assignments. These daily tasks will be a mixture of team work and individual work. These tasks alone will determine the students grade. Students will receive feedback on all assignments. A final project of a branding campaign will also be assigned. All workshop tasks combined will comprise of 75% of the student’s grade, and the branding campaign will comprise the remaining 25%.
- Introduction / product confrontation
- Parts of the Brand: Logo, Slogans and Content/Text
- Types of brands
- Brand personality and brand identity
- What can be a brand?
- Customer Behaviour
- Psychology of consumers
- Brand associations, brand perception
- Brand assessment tools
- Segmentation, targeting and positioning
- Interviewing shoppers in Praha
- Analysing research outcomes
- Branding for retailers; the brand in the store
- Mystery Shopping in Praha
- Branding Strategies
- Brand loyalty, Brand equity, CLV
- Marketing Communication
- Advertising and/or PR
- Online Marketing and Social Media
- Creating the message and finding real customers
- Brand fans
- The Pepsi Challenge
- Branding and Sustainability
- Greenwashing and stereotyping
- Marketing ethics
- Presentation of the in class task
- Create a complete Branding campaign for a real product
*Program/Course Outline is subject to change.
Do you have any questions? Let us know!